Youth Baseball and Softball in Reno
[Updated for 2023]
It’s that time of year again when registration for spring youth sports are opening up and parents all over Reno are clearing their calendars for baseball, softball, soccer, and every other sport hosting spring leagues.
With so many options, we wanted to compile a list of community and private organizations concentrating on the younger kids (as most older kids are already familiar with their league and options). For those that aren’t, feel free to reach out and we can assist in getting you to the right place.
This article focuses on community youth baseball and softball in the Reno, Sparks, and Carson City areas. I include some softball travel organizations but for our travel ball guide, visit this page.
We do try to compile a resource for other sports, so feel free to share some sports you’d like to know about and we will try to do some digging around for you! If you notice that a league or team is missing or want us to add your organization, please let us know and we can add it to the list.
The biggest development in 2022 for Reno Baseball and Softball was Washoe Little League adding softball for girls ages 4-12 to their list of offerings. And in 2023 Reno National Little League is, as well! For years, girls in most of Reno have had to travel to other parts of town for recreation softball. The massive growth in South Reno, and Reno, in general, has brought some very dedicated and highly motivated folks to our local Little Leagues to create something special for hundreds of girls in the area.
Maybe hundreds of girls playing softball can encourage the folks at Washoe County or Reno to build community softball fields for the girls down south…
Also on the softball topic, Nevada Rampage is a new softball travel team that has started up and is looking for 12u and 10u girls. Reach out to them on their website for more information.
Little League – Baseball
Most people are familiar with Little League. Little League is for boys and girls ages 4-12 (sometimes 15) and is the quintessential place to experience youth baseball in a safe and fun environment and is the main community focused organization in the Reno area. Little League offers recreational baseball for the communities they serve with each organization supported by the community itself from parent volunteers to local businesses sponsoring each league. If you are new to baseball, this is where you start.
Each league works off a zoning system where a player is eligible based on where they live or go to school. If you are unsure what league you are in, check out the link below and input your address or the address of your kid’s school. You can then go to your league’s page and reach out to the league administrator for further assistance on registration and other questions. Deadlines are approaching, some end of January, others end of February – look up your league as soon as possible to ensure you don’t miss out!
- Reno Continental Little League – closes 2/24!
- Reno National Little League (RNLL also has a Challenger League for children with special needs) – closes 2/11!
- Washoe Little League – closes 2/5 for upper division, 3/3 for lower division
- Reno American Little League – closes 1/25!
- Valley Providence Little League – closes 2/28
- Sparks Centennial Little League – closes 2/12
- Sparks National Little League – not sure status of this league
Carson City / Gardnerville
- Carson City Little League – closes 2/24
- Carson Valley Little League – closes 2/28 for upper division, 3/15 for lower
- North Tahoe Little League – check their page for date
- South Tahoe Little League – check their page for date
- Truckee Little League – check their page for date
Cal Ripken – Baseball
Cal Ripken is another option for folks who live in areas where Cal Ripken is offered. Local Cal Ripken Baseball leagues have been challenging to find online. We know they exist in some areas up in northern Reno and Sparks, but we are too unfamiliar with the organization to know where else to look up their information. If you know of some Cal Ripken leagues, please let us know and we can add them to our list.
- Spanish Springs Cal Ripken Baseball – check their page for date
- Silver State Cal Ripken Baseball – check their page for date
- Sun Valley Cal Ripken Baseball – closes 3/2
Boys and Girls Club
Junior Giants is a free, noncompetitive coed baseball program. The Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows is proud to be the Reno area sponsor. Divisions include T-ball (5 & 6 year olds), Minors (7-9 year olds), and Majors (10-13 year olds).
- Junior Giants – programs play starting in the summer
Softball is another option for girls in the Reno area. These programs strive to teach girls the fundamentals of softball in the same type of environment as youth baseball.
- Carson City Girls Softball: The Carson City Girls Softball program serves girls age 3 to 18 in the Carson City area.
- Carson Valley Fast Pitch: The Carson Valley Fast Pitch Softball program serves the Carson Valley, Minden, and Gardnerville areas.
- North Valleys Babe Ruth Softball: North Valleys Babe Ruth Softball serves girls 8 to 18.
- Reno National Little League Softball: Reno National is starting up their softball program in 2023, focused on the younger girls at this stage.
- Sparks Centennial Little League: SCLL has a large softball presence in Sparks and Spanish Springs.
- Washoe Little League Softball: Washoe Little League has started a softball program for girls 4 to 12 in the fall of 2021 to continue as a regular offering each year including this Spring. Here is one dad’s experience with WLL softball.
Travel Ball – Softball
*Please let me know the latest movements of travel softball as I do not have daughters and have only a general idea here. I know some teams changed affiliations recently. If you want your organization updated/added, let me know.*
- Nevada Rampage – Facebook: Reno’s newest softball travel team focused on 12u and 10u.
- Nevada Freedom Fastpitch – Facebook:
- Battle Born Bombers – Facebook: 12u
- Nevada Lightning Fast Pitch – Facebook: Founded in 1990, Nevada Lightning Girls fast pitch strives to provide an environment conducive to the positive athletic, academic and social development of young women.
- Scorpions Fast Pitch – Facebook: The Scorpions have a large training facility near Rock/Glendale and are affiliated with the Scorpions Baseball Academy.
- Reno Heat – Facebook – are they active?
- Nevada Sharks Fastpitch – Facebook
- Nevada Hotshots Softball – Facebook
- Northern Nevada Tilt – Facebook: Highly competitive youth softball Program to provide and promote girls opportunities beyond youth softball. They have a facility near the airport
The author is on the board of Washoe Little League, coaches his two sons, and has both sons playing for the Northern Nevada Baseball Club travel ball team.
If you enjoyed this article, check out A Coach’s Promise To Your Kids and Help Me Coach Your Kids, both based on the author’s experience coaching community baseball. As always, thanks for your support.