Hair We Are! #dadjoke
This inaugural episode of the Reno Dads Podcast got a little hairy #dadjoke. Jonathan, Mike, and David took to the Reno Collective podcast studio to produce this Reno Dads episode and the first theme happened to be all about hair. Yes, that is right…hair!
Being the inaugural podcast for Reno Dads, the team started off with personal introductions and a story about how the Reno Dads went from concept to a brand that has now developed into the creators of content and events.
Rite of Passage
After the brief introductions, our first topic centered around Jonathan’s experience taking his teenage son to a bona-fide barber at Derby Supply Company for a “man’s haircut.” While a trip to the barber might seem rather straight forward, the Reno Dads dug into the deeper concept and discussed themes of tradition, rites of passage, and the basic social skills a child has the opportunity to develop at the barbershop.
The Reno Dads then covered a topic that many dads with daughters know so well… how to style girls’ hair. A month or so back, the Reno Dads sponsored a father daughter hair styling clinic with Paul Mitchell School Reno. Mike gave us an overview of the event, some surprising lessons learned about styling your daughter’s hair, and a tease at a follow-up to this successful event.
In closing, look forward to our next episode. You can listen in on 97.7 KWNK or here at Reno Dads.
- Team Introductions: Jonathan Salkoff, David Bradfield, and Mike McDowell
- Back story on how the Reno Dads came to be from inspiration from the Reno Moms Blog to our current status
- Discussion on Rites of Passages: Jonathan’s Reno Dads Article: Rites of Passage at the Barbershop
- Recap of the Reno Dads / Paul Mitchell School Event: Father – Daughter Hair-Styling Clinic
- Connect with the Reno Dads! Social media accounts posted below.
- Teased a few upcoming events: Look forward to our next Father – Daughter Hair-styling Clinic, a Reno Dads Joke Battle, potentially a Reno Dads Drink Night, and a Knife Skills class with Roundabout Grill’s Colin Smith.
- Preview of what’s next for the Reno Dads Podcast and a request for suggestions from the audience.
Resources / People / Articles Mentioned in the Episode
- Reno Dads
- Reno Moms Blog
- 97.7 KWNK Reno Radio Station
- National Fatherhood Initiative (stats)
- Rites of Passage at the Barbershop (Jonathan’s Reno Dads article):
- Derby Supply Company (Reno barbershop)
- Father – Daughter Hair Styling Clinic (Reno Dads and Paul Mitchell the School)
- Paul Mitchell School (Reno)
- Reno Dads Interview with Roundabout Grill Chef Colin Smith
- Roundabout Grill